By Suraksha Singh
Human beings have a special connection with nature from birth. Even when we grow up, we tend to get attracted to nature in the form of our morning walks in gardens, our trips to mountains and beaches, etc. The way we feel relaxed and connected to nature is something we all have experienced in our lives. So when one says that connecting with nature is important in education, you don’t need to be an expert educationist to understand this fact. As experts and educators understand the importance of this concept, the trend of school gardens and outdoor learning spaces is increasing day by day.
Vega Schools have especially gone one step ahead and have been using the concept of open classrooms as well for the last 8 years.
If you get a chance to visit their campus, you will see wonderfully created circular open classrooms with a splash of vibrant colors and no walls. This concept has made Vega Schools stand apart from other schools the moment you step inside their campus.
Their curriculum is also well integrated with nature and you will see little learners having first-hand experiences inside and out. School gardens and open or outdoor learning spaces play a crucial role in education, fostering a connection between students and nature and Vega Schools are doing a great job in this area.
Here are several reasons why these elements are important and how education is connected with nature:
- Hands-on Learning: School gardens provide a hands-on learning experience that engages students in practical, real-world applications of concepts they learn in the classroom. Planting, nurturing, and harvesting plants allow students to witness the entire life cycle firsthand.
- Problem Based Learning (PBL): Open or Outdoor spaces facilitate PBL by integrating various subjects such as science, mathematics, language arts, and social studies.
- Health and Well-being: Spending time outdoors has been linked to improved mental health and well-being. School gardens and outdoor learning spaces provide a break from traditional classroom settings, allowing students to experience the benefits of fresh air, sunlight, and physical activity.
- Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving: Working in a garden environment encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Vega’s PBL way of learning especially focuses on developing these 21st-century skills.
- Cultivating Curiosity and Wonder: Nature has an innate ability to spark curiosity and wonder. School gardens offer a space where students can explore and ask questions about the natural world, fostering a sense of awe and curiosity that can extend beyond the classroom.
- Social and Emotional Learning: Outdoor learning spaces promote social interactions and teamwork. Students collaborate on tasks, share responsibilities, and learn to work together. This helps in the development of social and emotional skills such as communication, empathy, and collaboration. Empathy and Collaboration, (two of Vega Schools’ Core Values), are taken very seriously at each and every step of the learning process.
It is not wrong to say that nature and human beings are interconnected with each other and will always be. To enhance that connection through education and at the early stages of human life will provide great benefit to our little ones in the long run.
Explore Vega Schools’ insights on Sustainable School Buildings: Green Solutions for a Brighter Future. Read More.
Vega Schools offers holistic education to children in Delhi NCR and is rated among the top Schools in Gurgaon. Its modern infrastructure, facilities, and experienced teachers are a big asset to the learning & development of students, be it for Nursery, Primary or Senior children making Vega Schools the best schools in Gurgaon. For information about admission please visit the Vega Schools campuses in Sector 48 and Sector 76 Gurugram.