Child's vacation meaningful and fun - An expert educator's views 24 Jun 2022 Dr. Steven Warren Edwards, Co-Founder, Vega Schools
Summer is a great time for children to have meaningful experiences that can enhance their learning, but at the same time be fun. Exposure to new and different experiences is a great way to develop a child’s curiosity and discovery. A visit to a local museum or historical site is a great way to create new learning experiences for a child.
At home reading program
With Gurgaon schools shut and the summer camps having ended, an at home summer reading program is also a way to further develop a child’s fluency and comprehension. Although I am not typically a fan of extrinsic motivators I have used the following as an exception. Select a child’s favorite Disney character and have the child trace or freehand draw the figure. Next, divide the character into multiple pieces. This can be the natural lines of the figures' clothing or features. Place a number into each segment, the number represents the time that the child will read. Once they have read that amount of time they can color in the portion of the drawing. Once they have colored in the entire figure they get some external reward, such as going for an ice cream or something of that sort.
Discuss the books being read
As they read each section it is important for the parent to discuss the reading with the child to further develop their comprehension skills. For younger children the parent may need to read to the child, but the same goals can be accomplished.
No worksheets or boring activities
As one of the top schools in Gurgaon we at Vega discourage creating “drill and kill” summer experiences for children. Having them complete worksheets or memorizing information, especially during vacation, is a contra indication and will only contribute to a child’s stress level and ultimately a dislike for school.
Love of learning
Instead we believe in learning activities that are fun and will truly engage the children. This process helps children develop the love for learning. They will be motivated and take ownership of their learning. The transaction to school after vacations will also become easier.
For more information on the above subject, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What makes a good student Aug 16,2022 Daniel Curry, Director & Principal, Vega Schools
- Why Coding is important for young minds? Aug 12,2022 Neetu Dhiman, Vega Schools
- Why admit my child to a progressive school? Aug 10,2022 Sandy Hooda, co-founder of Vega schools
- Ways to respond to your child’s anxiety and stress Aug 08,2022 Daniel Curry, Director & Principal, Vega Schools
- Developing confidence in adolescents Aug 06,2022 Dr. Steven Warren Edwards, Co-Founder, Vega Schools
- Why are people and culture so important in a school? Aug 03,2022 Sandy Hooda, Co-Founder of Vega Schools
- Tips To Improve Your Child’s Listening Skills Aug 01,2022 Richa Sharma, Vega Schools
- The art of public speaking in children Aug 01,2022 Marina Khan, Vega Schools