Teacher Learner Relationship
Vega Schools, Gurgaon
Why is developing a relationship during the Early Years necessary?
- Preschool Education is the critical period for cognitive development.
- After the parents, teachers are the second most crucial influencers in the child?s life
- Learners need to feel a sense of belonging in school from day one.
- Little children want to enjoy school as they do in their homes, and it?s important for the teachers to be their friend and not a coach.
- The teacher has a critical role in introducing learning motivation as well as developing children?s social and emotional competence at this age.
- utside of the classroom.
HOW VEGA LEARNING LEADERS STRIVE THEIR BEST TO DEVELOP RELATIONSHIP WITH THEIR LEARNERS
At Vega Schools, one of the top 5 schools in Gurgaon by Education World, our first job is to make sure that we learn with our students, that we connect with them on a real level, showing respect for their culture and affirming their worthiness to receive the best education possible.
Let?s discuss some pointers our Learning Leader follow to achieve a successful relationship with our learners.
- Knowing each child individually first: Our learning leaders always try to show love to their learners as an individual and not just the class as a whole. We Make a conscious effort to get to know each child ? their interests and hobbies, things they do outside of school, who they look up to in their family, their pets, etc. and not just academics.
- Channelising every learner's passion: We try to use each learner's interests and passions to their advantage by incorporating them into their lessons. Learning Leaders who take the time to do this will see increased participation, higher involvement and an overall increase in learning. Learners will appreciate the extra effort teachers have made to include interest in the learning process.
- EMPATHY: Empathy is one of the core values of Vega Schools, one of the top 10 schools in Gurgaon. We aim to let our learners know that we understand and acknowledge their thoughts, feelings and emotions. We believe in being affectionate even when children are showing challenging behaviours. As a result, this helps strengthen the bond between the learner and their teacher and reinforces trust, and helps the child feel SAFE and cared for.
- CREATING AN ENVIRONMENT OF STRUCTURE AND ROUTINE: Time and again we have spoken about the importance of routine in our previous blogs and how most learners respond positively to having a structure in the classroom. It makes them feel safe and leads to increased learning. Teachers who lack structure not only lose valuable instructional time but often fail to gain the respect of their students. It is essential that teachers set the tone early by establishing clear expectations and practising class procedures.
- BEING POSITIVE: Young learners take cues from their teachers on how they should behave and react in the classroom, with their friends, peers and other adults on the school campus. Therefore, having a positive attitude will create a positive classroom. A learning leaders? attitude, demeanour, choice of words needs to be supportive, calm, excited and carting in order to develop that positivity
- MAKING LEARNING A FUN-FILLED EXPERIENCE: It?s simple: no one likes to get bored, especially while studying. Little learners love to laugh, hop, and chat in class. To develop that closeness and love for study, learning leaders need to incorporate humour into their daily lessons. It can be getting into a character and donning a silly costume for the lesson of fun activities with colours, simply laughing at oneself when the adult makes a silly mistake.
- TREATING THEM WITH RESPECT, EQUALLY: Before they are learners, they are human beings who need to be treated with respect in order to receive one. The same set of rules are applied to all students. Being fair and consistent is what defines a good relationship.
- MAKING AN EXTRA EFFORT: The deeper relationship is developed when someone goes that extra mile to ensure that the student is happy and content. That can be done by providing extra time for a leaner who is lacking behind, or communication after class hours to discuss any personal issue or maybe continuing supporting a learner even after he is no longer in the classroom. It is about recognizing and assisting in meeting student needs inside and o
Why establishing a relationship is important?
The best teachers are capable of maximizing the learning potential of each student in their class. They understand that the key to unlocking student potential is by developing positive, respectful relationships with their students beginning on the first day of school.
- Establishing relationships with learners is the most important factor in managing behaviour in the classroom. When an individual child knows he/she is being loved it will become easier to guide them towards positive behaviour.
- Strong teacher-student relationships are associated with higher student academic engagement, attendance, grades, and lower school dropout rates, learning motivation.
- A Learning leader?s relationship with the learners is the best predictor of how much the teacher enjoys their work. So a good relationship benefits the teachers too.
- Learners who feel connected to their teachers tend to have stronger academic performances. When students view their teachers as a partner rather than an adversary, they are more open to learning.
- In a good relationship, every partner will try to make the other happy and feel valued similarly when a learner recognises that the teacher really loves them, they will work harder in the classroom.
- A strong relationship will show success not only in academics but also in emotional, social and spiritual growth.